Generic Danazol is a synthetic hormone. It is used to treat pain and infertility caused by endometriosis, a condition involving the tissue of the uterus. It is also used in the treatment of cysts or lumps in the breast or may be prescribed for heavy menstrual flow. Danocrine is also used to prevent attacks of angioedema in both males and females.
Take Generic Danazol capsules by mouth. Swallow the capsules with water. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
In rare cases, Generic danazol can cause a condition that results in the breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue, leading to kidney failure. Call your doctor right away if you have unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness especially if you also have fever, unusual tiredness, and dark colored urine.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- sudden numbness or weakness (especially on one side of the body), confusion, problems with speech or balance;
- severe headache, ringing in your ears, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, vision problems, pain behind your eyes;
- chest pain, sudden cough, wheezing, rapid breathing, coughing up blood;
- pain, swelling, warmth, or redness in one or both legs;
- swelling or rapid weight gain, especially in your face and midsection;
- bloody, black, or tarry stools;
- cough up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds; or
- upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Less serious side effects may include:
- acne or other skin problems, increased sweating;
- increased hair growth or hair loss;
- breast changes;
- decreased amount of semen released during sex;
- hoarse or deepened voice, sore throat;
- flushing (warmth, redness, or tingly feeling);
- changes in your menstrual periods;
- unusual vaginal bleeding or spotting;
- vaginal dryness, discomfort, or itching.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur.
Before you take Danocrine, tell your doctor if you have: breast cancer, heart disease, kidney disease, liver disease, migraine, porphyria, seizures (convulsions), unusual vaginal bleeding, strokes, prostate cancer, an unusual or allergic reaction to Danocrine, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives; pregnant or trying to get pregnant; breast-feeding.
If dizziness or blurred vision occurs, use caution engaging in activities requiring alertness. Geriatric men are at increased risk of developing enlarged prostate and prostate cancer with the use of androgen-like drugs. Use of non-hormonal contraceptives such as a condom, diaphragm or sponge is recommended while taking this drug and until you have had at least one menstrual period after stopping the drug.
Generic Danazol can cause menstrual periods to stop entirely but they usually resume within two to three months after Danocrine treatment. This drug must not be used during pregnancy. If you become pregnant or think you may be pregnant, inform your doctor immediately. Breast feeding should be avoided while using this drug.
Tell your doctor about all other medicines you use, especially:
- carbamazepine (Carbatrol, Equetro, Tegretol);
- cyclosporine (Gengraf, Neoral, Sandimmune);
- insulin or oral diabetes medications;
- tacrolimus (Prograf);
- a blood thinner such as warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven); or
- cholesterol lowering medicines such as atorvastatin (Lipitor, Caduet), fluvastatin (Lescol), lovastatin (Mevacor, Altoprev, Advicor), pitavastatin (Livalo), pravastatin (Pravachol), rosuvastatin (Crestor), or simvastatin (Zocor, Simcor, Vytorin, Juvisync).
This list is not complete and other drugs may interact with Generic danazol.
If you miss a dose, take as soon as remembered; do not take if it is almost time for the next dose, instead, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not "double-up" the dose to catch up.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F).