Generic Cozaar (losartan) belongs to a group of drugs called angiotensin II receptor antagonists. Losartan keeps blood vessels from narrowing, which lowers blood pressure and improves blood flow.
Generic Cozaar is used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension). It is also used to lower the risk of stroke in certain people with heart disease.
Generic Cozaar is used to slow long-term kidney damage in people with type 2 diabetes who also have high blood pressure.
Take Generic Cozaar exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Follow all directions on your prescription label. Your doctor may occasionally change your dose to make sure you get the best results. Do not take this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
You may take Generic Cozaar with or without food.
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction to Generic Cozaar: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
In rare cases, Generic Cozaar can cause a condition that results in the breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue, leading to kidney failure. Call your doctor right away if you have unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness especially if you also have fever, unusual tiredness, and dark colored urine.
Call your doctor at once if you have:
- a feeling that you might pass out;
- pain or burning when you urinate;
- pale skin, feeling light-headed or short of breath, rapid heart rate, trouble concentrating;
- wheezing, chest pain;
- drowsiness, confusion, mood changes, increased thirst, loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting;
- swelling, weight gain, feeling short of breath, urinating less than usual or not at all; or
- high potassium (slow heart rate, weak pulse, muscle weakness, tingly feeling).
Common Generic Cozaar side effects may include:
- cold or flu symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing, sore throat, fever;
- dry cough;
- muscle cramps;
- pain in your legs or back;
- stomach pain, diarrhea;
- headache, dizziness;
- tired feeling; or
- sleep problems (insomnia).
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur.
Drinking alcohol can further lower your blood pressure and may increase certain side effects of Generic Cozaar.
Do not use potassium supplements or salt substitutes while you are taking Generic Cozaar, unless your doctor has told you to.
Avoid getting up too fast from a sitting or lying position, or you may feel dizzy. Get up slowly and steady yourself to prevent a fall.
Tell your doctor about all medicines you use, and those you start or stop using during your treatment with Cozaar, especially:
- a diuretic or "water pill";
- other blood pressure medications;
- celecoxib; or
- aspirin or other NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), naproxen (Aleve), celecoxib, diclofenac, indomethacin, meloxicam, and others.
This list is not complete. Other drugs may interact with Cozaar, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
If you miss a dose, take as soon as remembered; do not take if it is almost time for the next dose, instead, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not "double-up" the dose to catch up.
Store at room temperature between 59 and 86 degrees F (between 15 and 30 degrees C) away from moisture and sunlight. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep away from children and pets.